Thursday, March 22, 2012

Yum! New Recipe!


The weather here in Tennessee has been ridiculously warm for March! But I am definitely not complaining! I love how sunny and warm it has been. It is reminding me of summer. So this recipe may come as a surprise...soup! I had already planned to make this before I knew how amazing this weather would be and I had already bought the ingredients so I just went ahead and made it anyway. And let me tell you, it was delicious! I got the recipe from Pinterest but I changed it to make it a little more healthy and I am so happy with how it turned out. I know this will be a keeper for our recipe box!
Here is the recipe:

TASTES LIKE LASAGNA SOUP

Ingredients:
2 teaspoons Light olive oil
1 pound turkey sausage
1 onion, chopped
3 teaspoons minced garlic
1 (32-ounce) container reduced sodium, fat-free chicken broth
2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce (we used Hunts with basil and garlic)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
4 ounces broken whole-wheat lasagna noodles (about 5 to 5½ noodles, then break into pieces)
2 teaspoons basil
3 tablespoons reduced fat parmesan cheese
1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded mozzarella (or cheddar or Mexican blend) cheese
Instructions:
Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick saucepot or Dutch oven. Add the turkey sausage, onion, and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is crumbled and browned, 8 – 10 minutes. 
Add the broth, tomato sauce, salt, and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the flavors are blended, about 20 minutes. Add the noodles; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the soup thickens slightly and the noodles are tender, 10 – 12 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in mozzarella, basil, and
and the Parmesan (whole-wheat lasagna noodles take a little longer to cook.) Optional: Top with a pinch of cheese or light sour cream. 

The soup was delicious and I know I'll be making it again...maybe I'll wait till the weather isn't quite as warm though!
Have a super Thursday!
the Lisics

2 comments:

  1. This sounds awesome!

    You should link up with my friend The How to Mommy - she hosts Tasty Thursday! http://www.thehowtomommy.com/how-to-cook/week-43/ :)

    ReplyDelete