Thursday, September 20, 2012

A Mission

I hope you all enjoyed the couple of posts I have done about my experience at Go! Camp the last few years...and I will continue to tell you more about all the incredible people I have learned about, heard from, and met through that experience. But let me tell you something much more important right now...how it changed me!

After Go! camp 2011 I was on fire and determined to do something. Something good for the world. Something so much bigger than myself. I had dreams of all kinds of countries to go to and all kinds of things we could do for organizations. And let me tell you, along with the JA Youth Group we did some awesome things! But I just had this new fire to go on a mission trip.

The only other mission trip I have been on was to Georgia. Not that far from home...not THAT bad of conditions...and yes we helped them out. We did the Lord's work and I know the labor was worth it because we were helping people. This time though I had something totally different in mind. I wanted to leave this country. I wanted to go to Africa or central America or Mexico or anywhere I could use my several several years of Spanish! But the Lord had me on wait...let's see, a few months later I got married and then immediately started school. I didn't care much about school and I think I would just much rather have moved to Africa to serve the Lord in an orphanage or something and just forget school. Instead, the Lord pushed me further into my education and as I have posted before, I ended up finding my passion for what I want to do with my life (teaching).

But enough of that. Now I get to tell you about the opportunity that God has placed in my hands. A few months back, some college students from church were approached to see if there was any interest in taking a mission trip overseas. Immediately I was like YES. I think that was the general reaction from a lot of the group. So it was set in motion. 

One of the ministers at Jefferson Avenue, John Nichols, has some family living in Cebu City, Philippines. He has visited there several times and explained to us that this particular island of the Philippines has never had a missions group come there over the 15 or so years that his relatives have lived there. That was our mission. We got things going and now we are set to go for 2 weeks in May 2013 to Cebu City! Can I just say that I can not be more pumped about this! 

Wesley and I are both going on this trip, and we are so excited. It is like finally I get the chance to do something like this and I just wish May was here already. Too bad taking a trip like this takes quite a lot of planning. Plans are starting to roll and we are starting fundraising. We are doing fund raising as a group as well as individual fund raising to go towards our lodging and food, etc. Each of us has to turn in a payment on Dec. 1st. That is really not very far from us! 

Since Wes and I are both going on this trip, we (obviously) have to raise double the money. So, being young and married and in college we are trying to raise the money! We have gotten some bracelets made that say "Support Missions" on one side, and "Cebu City, Philippines" on the other side. They are a light blue/gray. We are selling this to go towards our trip and any extra will go to the group fund/fund to give to the church in the Philippines. We are selling bracelets for $3.00 each ($1.00 extra if you want it shipped to your house) as well as are taking donations, all money we get going 100% to the trip. I know that may seem a little steep for a silicone bracelet...but let me assure you it is for a great cause!! You can get one from me in person or just order one online here on our blog! There are two buttons at the top right of our blog...one for buying a bracelet and one for anyone who wants to donate more than $3.00 (all donators will also receive a bracelet) These buttons are through PayPal so they are safe to use! Here is what the bracelets look like:

Get yours today and help support missions in Asia! Thank you to all that are supporting us and I look forward to giving you more updates as more formal plans come into place! But for now, thank you from the bottom of our hearts for all the love and support :)
-the Lisics

No comments:

Post a Comment