Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Shew. What a busy week it has been. Correction: What a busy year it has been! As the semester is ending and we are finishing up final exams, I can't help but look forward to Christmas and a new year. I feel like this year has flown by! From our nephew's 1st birthday party all the way through Thanksgiving, each event we've been a part of this year feels like yesterday to me. But regardless of how fast this year has gone, I am looking forward to a new one! Every year about this time, I start getting excited about the new year. Some people might say New Years Resolutions are dumb and a waste of time because they are usually broken (ok I just don't agree with that...hence the fact that I haven't had a soft drink since a New Years back when I was in junior high...) but anyway...I just love the fresh start of a new year. I love that everyone is making all kinds of goals for themselves and I love making goals for improving me!

But I have to say, as much as I love the new year, I just love the Christmas season so much more! It truly is the most wonderful time of year. All the festivities and gift giving and celebrating Jesus just warms my heart. I am pretty sure I could sit in front of the Christmas tree with a hot cup of wassail and watch Christmas movies every night till December 25th. Ok that can't actually happen haha because along with the magic comes a party here, friends coming to town there, and we get swept up in all that we have to do and buy and everyone seems to get a little stressed.
Here is a verse I was reading this morning that I just love love love that I feel totally applies:
Romans 8:6 - For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.

Wow. Absolutely. This season is about family and friends and most importantly our Savior. I cannot let all the worldly things bog my mind down because I should be giving thanks for all the incredible blessings I already have. If there was absolutely nothing under the tree for me, I would be better off than a lot of the world. And for that, I praise Him. And I have peace.

So here in a little bit I will take my very last final exam, and although we have a ton of things going on, I will remember to keep my eyes upward and occasionally pause and sit by the Christmas tree to reflect on the peace He has given me and what Christmas is all about. I hope this will encourage you to do the same :)
-samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment