Monday, January 27, 2014

Junk "Drawer" Organization

I have a feeling we all have a drawer in our house that looks something like this:


Now I know this is not a "drawer"...hence the post title! Our little apartment has barely enough drawers for our silverware and cooking utensils! We always have to use creative ways to make more space. I bought this white bucket thing at the Dollar Store I believe. And ever since we moved in, it has been used to hold miscellaneous household items, important papers, and random junk we didn't know what to do with. It may not look so bad in this picture, but it was driving me crazy! (Not to mention the stack of papers underneath the junk that you can't see...I was amazed to find things I had been looking for for months!)
So I decided that I just could not take it anymore! Since today is Monday (daily focus = declutter) I thought I would share the result! And the result is so much less stressful and simply much prettier to look at :) 
First thing I did was to just take everything out. Then came the purging. We had so many random things in there that either we had no use for anymore or needed to be thrown in the trash or things that needed to be fixed. I got rid of all that stuff and looked at what we had left. Several things could be categorized together - command hooks & strips, batteries, zip ties, etc. So those things I put in their own bag (or container for the batteries) and labeled.
We are always looking for batteries in our house, and it seems that we never can find them when we need it. So I got the idea to use a fishing box off Pinterest. We don't have that many batteries nor the space so I bought this little battery holder from The Container Store with a gift card I got for my birthday. It fits so nicely in our little "drawer!" To make the labels, I typed it in Microsoft Word and changed the colors of the letters (I just loved things that are multicolored!) and printed it on white cardstock. You could print on regular printing paper but I wanted to make sure they were more sturdy. Then I cut them out and laminated them with my laminator. (This is where to get it on Amazon but I got mine on sale at Walmart for about $30.) Then I attached them to the box/bags with tacky tape.
I did the same thing to make a label for the front of the container. (HERE is the link for the free font I used!)
And here is the junk drawer's home! 

It sits there (We hardly use our toaster) because it is the most convenient spot. And I love knowing exactly where things are and being able to find a zip tie or command hook when I need it! 
I hope you're having a great Monday, and hopefully this will inspire you to declutter something of your own!
much love,
post signature



No comments:

Post a Comment