Sunday, April 6, 2014

Practicum Experience

Last fall, I did my first ever field experience since I have been in elementary education. And it blew me away. I knew I wanted to be a teacher, but I didn't know I would fall in love so fast! I started in October in 2nd grade at Cane Creek Elementary School. I had 16 precious second graders who just seemed so small. Surely I wasn't that small then! They were hilarious and loving and occasionally infuriating but overall the love they showed for me touched my heart. 

Now don't get me wrong, every day was not a breeze. And I know there are so many more aspects to being a full time teacher than I got to see. There were even one or two days when I woke up and thought, "Ya know...I'm really not feeling this today." And that made me nervous. I mean I wasn't a full time teacher! Surely I could handle going to teach for a few hours...if I was meant for this as I believed I was, shouldn't be excited to go and ready to jump in every day?? I came to realize though that we all are going to have those days. You know what? As soon as I did go in, their bright faces and funny stories made me forget about wanting to stay in bed.

I'll always remember the talkative girl in the front who made me feel so welcomed and even though I had to get on to her a lot, she always was excited to see me and it made me feel so good.

I'll always remember the girl who saw me walking into school and rolled down her window to call out to me and wave at me in the parking lot.

I'll always remember the boy who was the most frustrating but taught me so much about being a real teacher. 

I'll always remember the quietest little girl who rarely said a peep but opened up to me by the end and became one of my very favorite kids ever. (Come on I know everyone will have a few favorites!)

I'll always remember the boy who helped me realize being positive can have such an impact.

I'll always remember the boy who got so excited when I talked to him about playing plants vs zombies because I could relate to his interests.

These kids touched my life and made my first practicum field experience one I'll never forget. Tomorrow I start my next field experience. This time I'll be in 4th grade at Baxter Elementary School. And while I can't wait to meet my students and see just how different 4th grade is, I'm remembering my sweet 2nd graders in Mrs. Metzgar's class. All I have to say is this class has a lot to live up to in my book! I am looking forward to this experience. It will be different, and it will be challenging. But. I was made for this. God made me to teach children. I can't wait to make Him proud.

(I would post a picture of me and my 2nd graders but I won't to respect privacy! It's hanging on my desk where I see it every day to remind me of just how much I want to be a teacher!)

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment